RFR 8217347 [TESTBUG] runtime/appcds/jvmti/InstrumentationTest.java timed out

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Mar 25 04:14:11 UTC 2019

Hi Ioi,

On 25/03/2019 1:46 pm, Ioi Lam wrote:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk13/8217347-appcds-InstrumentationTest-timeout.v01/
>

> This test case used VirtualMachine.list() to find the pid of the the child
> process. However, as David Holmes commented in the bug report, it's
> suspected that this call may lead to timeout.
>
> In any case, since Process.pid() has been added since JDK 9, it's better
> to call this
> API directly. That way, we can avoid unnecessary dependency on
> VirtualMachine.list().

In so far as I can see how you replaced the VM.list() with Process.pid()
this seems okay. I'm having trouble actually understanding the handshake
being used to control things though. I would have expected the target VM
to create the flagfile to indicate it is ready for attaching, then it
would wait for the flagfile to be deleted.

Thanks,
David