RFR (M) 8234510: Remove file seeking requirement for writing a heap dump

Schmelter, Ralf ralf.schmelter at sap.com
Tue Nov 26 09:30:37 UTC 2019

Hi Larry,

there should be no compatibility impact. The hprof format stayed the same, just the heap dump segments we write are smaller on average and more frequent.

I tested the created heap dumps with the jtreg test (the former jhat code), memory analyzer from eclipse, heap hero (an online heap analyzer) and visual VM. All without problems.

Best regards,
Ralf