[jdk19] RFR: 8289439: Clarify relationship between ThreadStart/ThreadEnd and can_support_virtual_threads capability

Chris Plummer cjplummer at openjdk.org
Fri Jul 1 18:53:33 UTC 2022

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 13:20:22 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The description of the ThreadStart/End events in the JVM TI spec needs rewording to make it clearer when these events are sent for virtual threads and when VirtualThreadXXX events are sent instead.

src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmti.xml line 12898:

> 12896:       <p/>
> 12897:       This event is generated by platform threads. It is also generated by
> 12898:       virtual threads when the capability

Is there a reason you chose to use "by" instead of "for"?  Although the thread that the event is generated "by" is the same as the thread it is generated "for", to me using "by" just reads kind of funny. The consumer of this event is usually not concerned about the thread the event is delivered on, only the thread it is delivered for.