RFR: 8289765: JDI EventSet/resume/resume008 failed with "ERROR: suspendCounts don't match for : VirtualThread-unparker"

Chris Plummer cjplummer at openjdk.org
Wed Mar 8 22:17:14 UTC 2023

On Wed, 8 Mar 2023 13:21:48 GMT, Kevin Walls <kevinw at openjdk.org> wrote:

> If in future we ever find ourselves updating that filter list, it could use a parameter to let us require only THREAD_NAME_PREFIX, rather than maintain the list of what we don't want. 8-)

The threads not to filter could be passed to EventHandler.waitForRequestedEventSet(), but that doesn't solve the other issue with JDIBase.breakpointForCommunication(), which doesn't know the set of threads we care about and also relies on EventFilters.filtered(event).

I'm surprised we don't have more failures due to this. I think maybe most were fixed in other ways. For example, see https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/5567, which fixed a similar problem.  In that case the test uses JDIBase.getEventSetForThreadStartDeath(). I took a different approach since this test uses EventHandler.waitForRequestedEventSet(), and I didn't think converting to getEventSetForThreadStartDeath() was appropriate.