RFR: 8257967: JFR: Events for loaded agents [v4]

Markus Grönlund mgronlun at openjdk.org
Thu Mar 9 09:47:16 UTC 2023

On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:36:28 GMT, Andrew Dinn <adinn at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Yes, I appreciate that `dynamic` can be derived from `initializationMethod` -- and vice versa. However, I was approaching this semantically from the opposite end. To me the primary characteristic that the user would be interested in is whether the agent was loaded dynamically or on the command line (whatever the type of agent). The corresponding fact, for a Java agent, that it is entered, respectively, via method agentMain or preMain is a derived (implementation) detail. Is there a reason to mention that detail?

That's a good point. The overall intent was to map what method was measured during initialization. That included native agent callbacks as well. It may be an unnecessary implementation detail and may restrict the possibility of growth.  It is probably a better design abstraction to leave out the specific method. I dropped the callback function for the native agent, but we should also do the same for JavaAgents.