RFR: 8304543: Modernize debugging jvm args in test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/nsk/jdi/Argument/value/value004.java

Chris Plummer cjplummer at openjdk.org
Mon Mar 20 20:37:15 UTC 2023

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 19:47:10 GMT, Eirik Bjorsnos <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review this PR which replaces the use of outdated JVM flags for setting up debugging in the test value004.java
>
> This is part of an ongoing effort to remove use of the outdated flag '-Djava.compiler" such that the option itself can eventually be removed.

This is the first I've seen of this java.compiler setting w.r.t. debugging. Is this because at one point debugging required that the JIT be disabled, but no longer does? I found the following in com/sun/tools/jdi/SunCommandLineLauncher.java: and wonder if it is also dated and can be removed:

        if ((options.indexOf("-Djava.compiler=") != -1) &&
            (options.toLowerCase().indexOf("-djava.compiler=none") == -1)) {
            throw new IllegalConnectorArgumentsException("Cannot debug with a JIT compiler",
                                                         ARG_OPTIONS);
        }