RFR: 8304725: AsyncGetCallTrace can cause SIGBUS on M1 [v3]

Johannes Bechberger jbechberger at openjdk.org
Thu Mar 23 12:03:06 UTC 2023

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:46:12 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stuefe at openjdk.org> wrote:

> There are variants of this play, but my point is the resulting crashes may happen after AGCT was invoked.

I see the problem. Thanks for adding some clarification. We can all agree that my intended fix is not really a fix.

>So all we spy with our little eyes would be a segfault, I guess SEGV_ACCERR ?, and maybe the AGCT shared lib among the list of loaded libraries.

Do you mean async-profiler? This would then hard-code the name of every relevant profiler in the OpenJDK.

> In particular, we do not know if AGCT did interrupt the crashing thread recently. Or do we? This would be valuable information.

Yes. But it could indeed be helpful information when debugging problems. Please don't forget that JFR has a very similar code, and it would be good to have the information on whether JFR sampled a thread recently too.