RFR: JDK-8317920: JDWP-agent sends broken exception event with onthrow option

Chris Plummer cjplummer at openjdk.org
Sun Oct 15 22:00:57 UTC 2023

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:44:53 GMT, Johannes Bechberger <jbechberger at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Fix `onthrow` issue by passing the event info to the `initialize` method.
>
> This prevents `jdb` from receiving a broken exception event and throwing an internal NullPointerException, upon attaching to the JDWP-agent.

Ok. I think overall the changes look good. I'd still like to see a test. Also, I'd like to see the jdb output after the fix. Maybe include the `list` output when jdb stops for the exception. It looks like jdb will print the name of the exception object and also the location where it will be caught, and I assume `list` will show you where it was thrown (although I think if this info is wrong in the ExceptionEvent, a jdb user would not notice so jdb it instead getting it from the current Thread info).