RFR: JDK-8318636: Add jcmd to print annotated process memory map

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.org
Sun Oct 22 19:29:00 UTC 2023

Analysts and supporters often use /proc/xx/maps to make sense of the memory footprint of a process.

Interpreting the memory map correctly can help when used as a complement to other tools (e.g. NMT). There even exist tools out there that attempt to annotate the process memory map with JVM information.

That, however, can be more accurately done from within the JVM, at least for mappings originating from hotspot. After all, we can correlate the mapping information in NMT with the VMA map.

Example output:

[example.system.map.txt](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/files/13062903/example.system.map.txt)

This patch adds the VM annotations for VMAs that are *mmaped*. I also have an experimental patch that works with malloc'ed memory, but it is not ready yet for consumption and I leave that part of for now.

Commit messages:
 - start

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16301/files
 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=16301&range=00