RFR: 8335533: OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace observed again on AIX in test RedefineLeakThrowable.java after JDK-8294960

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.org
Wed Jul 10 20:07:46 UTC 2024

On Wed, 10 Jul 2024 09:14:11 GMT, Christoph Langer <clanger at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The change of JDK-8294960 has brought an increase of required metaspace for this test on AIX which seems to go beyond 23m in most cases. So I propose another slight increment.
>
> Why AIX needs more metaspace compared to other platforms is probably a different topic.

+1

There is nothing I know off-hand that would be AIX-specific. Or is it PPC-specific? If the latter, does the delta go away with -Xint, or if you only run with C1?

Other than that, to analyze the problem, I would stop the test on a defined point on both a good platform and AIX, and do:

`jcmd <pid> VM.metaspace show-loaders show-classes` and maybe also start the tests with `-Xlog:metaspace=trace`

and attach the results to the JBS issue.