RFR: 8332042: Move MEMFLAGS to its own include file [v2]

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.org
Mon May 13 14:34:04 UTC 2024

On Mon, 13 May 2024 10:13:50 GMT, Stefan Karlsson <stefank at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Thomas Stuefe has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Update mallocLimit.hpp
>
> src/hotspot/share/nmt/memflags.cpp line 31:
>
>> 29:
>> 30: // Extra insurance that MEMFLAGS truly has the same size as uint8_t.
>> 31: STATIC_ASSERT(sizeof(MEMFLAGS) == sizeof(uint8_t));
>
> I think you can remove this entire .cpp file. There's no need to check the size of an enum with a specified base type.

I rather have this explicit check. If MEMFLAGS>1byte, things break, and I would like to make that explicit.

That said, I can move this static assert to the header. I just wanted to avoid including debug.hpp. My original intent was for this cpp file to be the place in the future for any MEMFLAGS related utility functions, e.g. to-and-from-string conversations.