Converting existing package.html files to package-info.java

Nizar Benalla nizar.benalla at oracle.com
Wed May 15 00:13:16 UTC 2024

Hello,

I discovered after some recent work around javadoc that `javac` does not recognize `package.html` files, which predate `package-info.java`. Some tools that want to analyze doc comments need to deal with this in special ways.

Maybe optional support for these files can be added into `javac`. But with only 21 `package.html` files in the JDK in modules that do not have internal in the name, I want to suggest simply converting them as it will be done once and won't need maintenance

There are 9 package.html files I'd like to convert into package-info.java in java.management, one in java.management.rmi (and if this passes, one in java.naming)

I want to hear what you think,
Nizar