Shenandoah not supported in OpenJDK 12-ea ?

Lennart Börjeson lenborje at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:30:19 UTC 2018

I just downloaded the the latest OpenJDK 12 EA build (24, dated 2018/12/15) to check if Shenandoah was available.

On both Linux and MacOS it says:

Option -XX:+UseShenandoahGC not supported

When invoked with

java -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseShenandoahGC -version

Is this intentional?

To check I've got the correct version, I tried (on both Linux and MacOS, same results):

$ jdk-12/bin/java -version
openjdk version "12-ea" 2019-03-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 12-ea+24)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 12-ea+24, mixed mode, sharing)

$ java -XX:+UseShenandoahGC -version
Error: VM option 'UseShenandoahGC' is experimental and must be enabled via -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions.
Error: The unlock option must precede 'UseShenandoahGC'.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.