Proposed revised format for JDK commit messages

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Mon Sep 17 15:03:02 UTC 2018

2018/9/17 6:32:59 -0700, erik.helin at oracle.com:

> For an example, please see the patch for JDK-8210724 [0]. The patch was
> authored (and proposed) by Man Cao on hotspot-gc-dev [1], reviewed by
> Kim Barrett and Stefan Johansson and sponsored by JC Beyler.
>
> Looking at the commit in the hg repository [2] we have exactly the case
> you are thinking of: Man Cao is listed as the sole contributor on the
> "Contributed-by" line and jcbeyler is the author. Looking at the
> translated commit [3] you will see that Man is listed as the author (and
> JC isn't mentioned at all).

That seems like a bug.  It’s important to record the sponsorship
relation, since the sponsor of a changeset is responsible for any
adverse consequences of that changeset.

> Please note that the commit author field says
> "Man Cao <manc at google.com>", but Man seems to have a GitHub account with
> the manc at google.com email registered to it, so GitHub will display Man's
> GitHub username "mancao". So, just to be clear, the git repository
> contains no GitHub usernames.
>
> The motivation for this change is that no SCM tooling understands
> OpenJDK's "Contributed-by" line, so it seemed easier to just let the
> author field actually denote the author of the patch. This way commands
> such as e.g. 'git shortlog' will work correctly.

Does common SCM tooling understand the “Reviewed-by” line?

If not, then the argument against keeping the “Contributed-by” line
for sponsored changes is pretty weak.

- Mark