RFR: Add tool for importing webrev patches

Erik Duveblad via github.com duke at openjdk.java.net
Fri Jul 5 13:20:51 UTC 2019

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 10:01:57 GMT, JornVernee via github.com <duke at openjdk.java.net> wrote:

> This PR adds a tool for importing webrev `.patch` files, either from a webrev url or local file path into a repository.
>
> I've named the tool `wimport` as short for `webrev-import` (I thought the full name sounded a bit too much like a sub-command of `webrev`). This will first checkout a new branch, then apply the patch, and then create a commit for the patch with the message `Imported patch 'NAME'`, similar to what is done by mq. Afterwards a user can just delete the new branch when they're done with e.g. reviewing the webrev. Although, there is also an option to directly apply the webrev without creating a branch or commit.
>
> Currently  the following options are supported:
>
>     usage: git wimport [options] <webrev url|file path>
>         -n, --name NAME  Use NAME as a name for the patch (default is patch file name)
>         -f, --file       Input is a file path
>         -k, --keep       Keep downloaded patch file in current directory
>         -d, --direct     Directly apply patch, without creating a branch or commit
>
> ----------------
>
> Commits:
>  - 7b20ce75:	Wimport prototype
>
> Pull request:
> http://git.openjdk.java.net/skara/pull/32
>
> Webrev:
> https://openjdk.github.io/cr/skara/32/webrev.00
>
> Patch:
> http://git.openjdk.java.net/skara/pull/32.diff
>
> Fetch command:
> git fetch https://github.com/openjdk/skara.git pull/32/head:pull/32

Thanks Jorn for you contribution!

I just had time to take quick look at the code, but wanted to share some high-level thoughts before diving in deeper. I would suggest splitting this tool into two:
1. git-webrev-apply
2. git-webrev-fetch

The motivation would be to two piggyback on already known git commands apply and fetch and try
to match the semantics as good as possible. The first tool, git-webrev-apply is very similar to what you have done in this PR _except_ that it would not do a commit. The second tool, git-webrev-fetch, would be more similar to what you have done here, but here I have few more considerations to make the tool as safe as possible:
- we want git-webrev-fetch to apply directly to index (with `git apply --cached`) so we avoid potentially changing files in the user's working tree.
- if the user already has a dirty index (`git diff --cached` is not empty) then I would consider two options:
  - abort and notify the user that the index is dirty (this differs from how `git fetch` behaves)
  - temporarily store the user's dirty index with `git write-tree`, apply the patch with `git apply --cached`, commit (more on how to commit later), restore the user's index with `git read-tree`
- I think we can find out a bit more about the webrev. For author and committer we can definitely use the username, `https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~(.*)/`. You could potentially use the `census` module if you want to get the real name for the user (to be able to use "Real Name <username at openjdk.org>" form).
- For the commit message I would either go with just the URL of the webrev or try to apply some heuristic to find out if the webrev has corresponding [JBS](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/) issue.
- For committing the dirty index I'm not fully sure yet of the best way. Ideally we want `origin/master` to be the parent since `master` might have advanced due to a user's local commits. One way to achieve this could be to first commit and then rebase the resulting commit onto `origin/master`. Another, perhaps more correct, but also slower, would be to use `git worktree` to create a new temporary worktree from `origin/master` in /tmp, apply the patch, and then commit.
- I think we can automatically deduce the name of the ref, for a webrev from a URL <https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ehelin/JDK-01234567/00> I think the ref `webrevs/ehelin/JDK-01234567/00` is fairly natural. This is somewhat similar to how `pulls/` is used for refs related to pull requests.

Regarding the verbose naming of the tools, I actually intended for them to look like webrev subcommands :smiley: The reason for this is if these two tools turn out well then I think we can repurpose `git-webrev` into having subcommands (similar to `git-pr`):
- git webrev generate
- git webrev apply <URL>
- git webrev fetch <URL>

`generate` would be the default command so that `git webrev` stays backwards compatible (just typing `git webrev` would mean `git webrev generate`). But before embarking on this refactoring I wanted us to start with implementing `git webrev-apply` and `git webrev-fetch`.

I would suggest slightly re-purposing this PR into becoming the PR for `git-webrev-apply` and then tackle `git-webrev-fetch` in another PR.

What do you think?

PR: http://git.openjdk.java.net/skara/pull/32