Email subject line formatting

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Fri Apr 17 08:46:33 UTC 2020

On 4/14/20 8:32 PM, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
> 2020/4/14 1:18:20 -0700, magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com:
>> On 2020-04-14 09:58, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps Jon is onto something that we should be more aggressive in how
>>> the subject line is rewritten. When a change is actually integrated,
>>> it is technically no longer a "RFR", so maybe rewrite to "Integrate:
>>> Bug description ..." instead? As long as the In-Reply-To mail header
>>> is correct, mail software should get the threading right regardless of
>>> subject.
>
> That would be preferable.

I asked David to send the e-mail to see if there we could find consensus
around the e-mail prefixes, and it seems like we have done just that :)

Both me and Robin are personally fine with rewriting the subject line
more aggressively, we both use MUAs that thread based on the
"In-Reply-To" and "References" headers. I would just like to point out
that several MUAs do *not* thread solely on the "In-Reply-To" and
"References" headers, the most notable one being the Gmail browser based
MUA accessible at https://www.gmail.com.

On 4/14/20 8:32 PM, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
 >> On 2020-04-14 09:58, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> I also realise that on projects where a commit can be pushed without a
>> review, the commit message is sent out as "FYI: Bug description...".
>> This has also confused me, since it sounded like someone wanted to
>> inform me about something, and not an auto-generated commit mail. Using
>> "Integrated: Bug description..." would be beneficial here as well, I think.
>
> Is that always the case?  Or is there still the option (per-project,
> I’d assume) to get the traditional “git: jdk/jdk: 87654321: ...” style
> of message for commits that are not formally reviewed?

It seems like there is some confusion here :) Skara features two ways of
notifying people following a mailing list that a patch has been integrated:

- the "traditional" notification e-mails that Mark refers to above.
   These e-mails look exactly as their Mercurial counterparts.
- a reply to the review thread stating the that the patch now has been
   integrated. It is the subject line of these e-mails that we have been
   discussing. This kind of notification e-mail is new with Skara, they
   have no Mercurial counterpart.

The second kind of notification is meant to help maintainers quickly
skim a mailing list. With a MUA that threads correctly it is very quick
to see whether the patch presented in an "RFR" thread has been
integrated or not.

An OpenJDK project can choose the kind of e-mail notifications they want
to be sent to the project's mailing list. Some projects want both of the
above notifications, some projects feel that the reply to the review
thread is sufficient. Some projects use separate mailing lists for the
traditional notification emails and "RFR" emails, those have opted to
use both kind of notifications.

Now, what are those e-mails prefixed with "FYI" that Magnus mentioned?
We use the "FYI" prefix instead of "RFR" when the bots send an email for
a pull request that has already been integrated. Since the bots are
polling they might encounter a pull request that was very quickly
integrated. This is most likely to happen for OpenJDK projects that do
not require reviews, where Committers can integrate their own pull
requests as soon as they are created (given that they pass jcheck).
Using the prefix "RFR" for this scenario felt wrong, since it is not a
request for review (the pull request has already been integrated). We
therefore opted for the "FYI" prefix to signal that we are conveying
information for something that has already happened. You can compare
this situation to one where you pushed a changeset and retroactively
send an e-mail with the webrev to a project's mailing list. This is an
orthogonal feature to any kind of notification e-mail being sent for the
integration.

Thanks,
Erik