Leftover .hgtags, .hgignore

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Fri Oct 9 12:08:16 UTC 2020

On 10/9/20 8:20 AM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> On 10/7/20 8:21 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
>> What is the story about leftover .hgtags and .hgignore in the repos
>> that went through the Git
>> transition? I was asking myself this about openjdk/jmh,
>> openjdk/jcstress, openjdk/jol repos, but it
>> is equally related to openjdk/jdk.
>>
>> I submitted this for openjdk/jdk, and can RFR the removal:
>>     https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8254178
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> No opinions? Is there a use for these .hg* leftovers that I am overlooking?

Opinions, but limited time, hence this somewhat late reply :)

I agree that there is little to no value in keeping the .hgignore file,
we kept it around in case people had personal scripts that used the
.hgignore file in some way.

The .hgtags file has a bit more value, as it allows someone to compare
the Mercurial and Git commits that have the same tag (i.e. can be used
go away forever, it will still be present in the VCS history and can
re-materialized in case someone wants to use it.

So, to summarize, I agree that both files can be removed. I don't mind
if anyone wants to keep them around for a while longer, they aren't that
distracting :)

Thanks,
Erik