RFR: 1236: Add jcheck option to check for large binary files [v3]

Erik Joelsson erikj at openjdk.java.net
Thu Dec 2 14:31:57 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:24:32 GMT, Kevin Rushforth <kcr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > Only check the newly added or copied files. The modified or renamed binary files won't be checked.
>
> A modified file is just as much of a problem, and much more likely to occur, as adding a new file. I strongly recommend checking all files, including modified or renamed files.

To expand on this a bit. My main motivation for this feature is to keep the repo clean of big binaries, as that's a bad thing in general. We also want to protect ourselves from hitting similar checks in other places, typically by downstream consumers of the JDK repo. We know of one such case today (but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more cases), and unfortunately, that check isn't smart enough to tell different types of changes apart, and we aren't able to affect the implementation of that check. So for that reason, I would also ask you to revert what Magnus asked, and let this apply to any binary file, regardless of how it was changed. We may revisit this later and relax this requirement if possible in the future.