RFR: 885: jbsupdater -pool record consumption modifications

Erik Joelsson erikj at openjdk.java.net
Thu Oct 14 19:19:49 UTC 2021

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 21:47:05 GMT, Erik Joelsson <erikj at openjdk.org> wrote:

> This patch changes how -pool records are consumed, to help differentiate between OpenJDK and OracleJDK update releases. OracleJDK update releases have moved to using fixVersions with an -oracle suffix. With this change, pool record consumption for such releases will also use an -oracle suffix. I opted for a very simple implementation, where any "-suffix" on a fixVersion is now required as suffix on a -pool version to be a match. I think this makes the most sense and keeps things simple going forward.
>
> While in the area, I also removed logic for treating N-open fixVersions the same way as N-pool versions. I have no memory of seeing that behavior in action and I believe that implementation was based on a misunderstanding. I could be wrong however, so if anyone can think of a reason to keep that logic, please let me know.

To ease the deployment of this change and the transition that will follow, I decided to change the behavior and continue to fall back to regular N-pool records if no N-pool-<opt> record is found. With this change, we can deploy this PR as it is without affecting anything currently in use.

Later we may decide to require N-pool-<opt> records to avoid stealing N-pool records.