RFR: 1463: Include starting branch in back port instructions

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.org
Sun Jul 31 01:46:42 UTC 2022

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 12:27:40 GMT, Guoxiong Li <gli at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This patch adds the suggested git command about fetching the newest code
> from the target branch before solving the conflicts.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to review.
>
> Best Regards,
> -- Guoxiong

Having just done a couple of such backports I would have found the proposed addition to be extremely confusing. I think all you need to do is tweak:

> To manually resolve these conflicts run the following commands in your personal fork of $REPO

to include mention of the appropriate branch, and/or have a separate instruction telling you have to get the right branch if you don't already have it. But don't change the existing steps which worked perfectly fine.