<Sound Dev> Bug in AudioSystem.getLine(DataLine.Info info)

Paulo Levi i30817 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 12:49:50 PST 2009

I think there is a problem in the linux implementation of
javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getLine(DataLine.Info info);

It throws a line unavailable exception when trying to send data, not
on construction. Apparently its just each Line is saying that it
supports the AudioFormat when it does no such thing, leading to
innumerable exceptions when trying to use freetts in linux. I've
worked around it
with this http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5189363, but i'd like the
root cause fixed.

BTW is FreeTTS dead or undead? Seeing projects like acapela tts with
their much higher quality voices in many languages is slightly
depressing from my the java is the platform and native is taboo
mindset.