<Sound Dev> [9] Review Request: 8147407 Provide support of WaveExtensible sound format

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Thu Jan 14 23:25:59 UTC 2016

Hello, Audio Guru.

Please review the fix for jdk9.
According the specification of WAV format, the WaveExtensible header
should be used if [1]:
  - PCM data has more than 16 bits/sample.
  - The number of channels is more than 2.
  - The actual number of bits/sample is not equal to the container size.
  - The mapping from channels to speakers needs to be specified.

Note that our writer contradicts the spec and writes the usual wav_pcm
header. But after this fix we at least will be able to read such files.
I am not sure should we right now change current behavior of writer(for
example similar issue in the sox[2]).

[1] http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/documents/audioformats/wave/wave.html
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/sox/bugs/88/

Webrev can be found at: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8147407/webrev.00