<Swing Dev> [8] Review request for 7156657 Version 7 doesn't support translucent popup menus against a translucent window

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Wed Jun 6 11:25:43 UTC 2012

Hi Pavel,

I don't understand why this change is necessary. The current code simply
detects if a window is non-opaque and forces HW popups for such windows.
This works automatically and is very useful.

With this fix, however, most developers who use translucent windows,
will have to manually call setLightWeightPopupEnabled(false), which
doesn't look developer-friendly. Also, it changes the current behavior
causing a regression.

Instead of changing our own demo code and affecting developers who might
have already relied on the current behavior, why not simply suggest the
submitters of 7156657 to force LW popups for their specific use case?

--
best regards,
Anthony