<Swing Dev> <AWT Dev> [10] Review request for 8182043: Access to Windows Large Icons

Semyon Sadetsky semyon.sadetsky at oracle.com
Thu Sep 21 15:54:40 UTC 2017

On 09/20/2017 02:41 PM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

> Hi, Semyon
> I have some initial comments which are based on the two bugs:
> JDK-8182043 and JDK-8156183.
>
> getSystemIcon(File file, int size):
>     - How the user will know what values/sizes should be passed, what
> values are supported? It is unlikely that he will pass all values in
> between 8-256?
Supported sizes are described in the method spec, aren't they?
This API doesn't imply any size limitation like the 8-256 you mentioned.

> "For any positive size value the exact file icon size is queried":
>     - This should be double checked because our implementation can
> return MultiResolutionIconImage if the system returns the icon which
> size is different from requested.
>
> FILE_ICON_SMALL(FILE_ICON_LARGE);
>     - What these parameters mean? Is it the smallest(biggest)
> supported size or is it a default size? Can it be different if
> different dpi are used on the screen? For example 16(32) by default
> and 32(64) on HiDPI?
They means what they have been meaning FileChooserUI implementation for
the Windows L&F which operates by two fixed icon sizes, large and small.
> FILE_ICON_SMALL:
>    - It seems that this value duplicate functionality of the old
> getSystemIcon(File) method?
How this can be got from the spec? It may return the same size but not
necessarily.

> Probably it will be better to provide to the user the
> set(list/mri/array/etc) of supported images, or if it is really slow
> the set(list/mri/array/etc) of supported sizes, and the user will be
> able to pass some meaningful sizes.
This is not a good idea. Extracting all available icon resolutions might
take significant time and since icons are cached it would be waste of RAM.