<Swing Dev> <AWT Dev> [12] JDK-7124285: Nothing heard from VoiceOver regarding the status of the progress bar

Alexey Ivanov alexey.ivanov at oracle.com
Wed Oct 24 15:19:54 UTC 2018

Hi Shashi,

I see, setting setFocusable dynamically is not an option then. At the
very least it will be confusing for the user: in some cases progress bar
is skipped when traversing focus and in other cases, it's not.

Progress bar embedded in a toolbar button is another case.

Is progress bar focusable in native apps?
Usually it's not because this control only displays the progress and
does not accept any user input: neither from keyboard nor from mouse.

Perhaps there's an additional accessibility property to make it be read
by AT.

What about JLabels? They're also non-focusable because labels do not
accept any user input. Are labels also required to be made focusable to
be read by AT?

Making a progress bar focusable is acceptable as the workaround for
SwingSet. But I don't think it's a good idea to make JProgressBar
focusable by default. The control does not accept any user input, so I
think it should not become focus owner. Therefore there's no need to add
visual focus cues.

Regards,
Alexey