<Swing Dev> [13] RFR JDK-8213535:Windows HiDPI html lightweight tooltips are truncated

Prasanta Sadhukhan prasanta.sadhukhan at oracle.com
Thu Apr 30 03:29:58 UTC 2020

On 30-Apr-20 8:06 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 4/20/20 11:14 am, Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:
>> It seems JPanel (component created for LW popup) GC is again null and
>> not in sync with JToolTip's GC so in addition to fix JToolTip's GC,
>> we also need to set GC of JPanel (jn sync with "contents" or tip's
>> GC), so setSize() will be set same as preferredSize.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8213535/webrev.5/
>
> I could understand that we need to use some specific GC instead of
> null(which is
> the default), but a force to use GC instead of another non-null GC
> sounds not good, isn't it?

I couldn't get what you are trying to say...You have a problem with
using getPreferredSize() in BasicToolTipUI#paint and you asked why can't
we use the same setSize() as it is now. I found we cannot use that
because JPanel.setSize() is wrong because it's GC was null when the
"size" was calculated. If we fix the JPanel's GC with the default GC
(the same way we fix ToolTip's GC) then we can continue to use setSize()
in paint. If you do not have problem with how we fix JTooltip's GC ,then
what is the problem with fixing JPanel's GC?