Thoughts on peeling and readability

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sat Dec 12 17:20:45 UTC 2015

Precise layout and bit control of values are anti-goals of Valhalla, so
we're not really exploring this direction at this time.

The problem with approaches like the one you suggest is they fall apart
as soon as you leave the realm of "primitives modeled as values."  What
about values that have refs in them?  What about values whose
representations are private?  Their implementation is supposed to be in
sole control of their representation.  This runs contrary to the "codes
like a class" dictum.