more background to List<int> specializing List<Any>

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sun Jan 4 23:20:03 UTC 2015

More likely: if we took value types out of the picture, we might well
not bother with specialization at all; we've limped along without it for
a long time, and there have been other solutions (Trove, GS-Collections)
that provide 80% of the value of primitive-specialized collections for
like 1% of the work.  But value types tip the balance from "unpleasant
but tolerable with grumbling" to "unacceptable."

Zooming back, though, I think what you're really saying is: the part
where List<int> is not a subtype of List is really the part you dislike
the most, because it lives in this weird middle ground between "all
instantiations of List<T> have a common supertype" (Java 5 generics) and
"no instantiations of list<T> have a common supertype" (C++).  You are
probably OK with either all (what you've got now) or nothing (if you
hadn't had ten years of Java generics training you on homogeneous
translation), but what really freaks you out is this half-here,
half-there, that forces the user to be aware that reference
instantiations are erased and value instantiations are reified, with all
that entails.

Is that really your concern here?