Fwd: Fwd: Proposal for generics over primitives needs a rethink

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 5 01:54:00 UTC 2015

Sorry, Remi, I missed this email, it went straight to my spam folder
or something for some reason.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Remi Forax <forax at univ-mlv.fr> wrote:
> On 01/02/2015 07:13 PM, Gavin King wrote:

> The first major problem of Any is that it introduce a new primitive kind,
> a lot of codes relies on the fact that you can only have boolean, byte,
> short,
> char, int, long, double and Object in Java. Introducing a new type will
> make a lot of code to behave weirdly.

You mean code in Java programs?

I'm not seeing this. By nature it's impossible to switch over the
primitive types with instanceof or whatever, so I'm having a really
hard time visualizing what kind of Java code would break.

Examples?

> The second major problem is how to implement it.
> It can be implemented as a compiler fiction only like in C# or in Scala,
> but in that case apart that one can write ArrayList<int>, it will
> rely on a form of boxing.

Well, that's not quite right. That the concrete instantiation
ArrayList<Any> works using boxing doesn't say much about whether
ArrayList<int> does. You can still use specialization, AFAICT.

> It can be implemented in the VM. It seems to be the best solution
> but the engineering cost is insane and in fact Any will not solve
> the specialization problem.
>
> Why the engineering cost is very high ?
> Currently most of the Java VM implementations rely on the fact that
> you know upfront (without executing the code) if a field or a local variable
> is a reference or an object. In term of GC, there is a very clear
> distinction
> between the precise GC algorithms used in Java VM and the conservative
> GC algorithms used by example in C. Technically, with Any, you can
> implement something in the middle between these two categories of GC,
> nevertheless, it changes the category of GCs, Java will be able to use.

But you're introducing a new kind of field/variable here. Pre-existing
code should keep behaving the same. It's only for new usages of this
new thing that the new behavior is required.

I understand that the VM would need to change to accommodate this. But
I think it makes the VM more useful, and I strongly speculate that all
the dynamic language folks would thank you for it.

> Any will not solve the specialization problem.
> Let say we now we have introduce Any, so we can create an array of Any.
> But an array of Any can be at runtime by subtyping either
> an array of doubles or an array of objects.
> But by doing this we introduce a subtyping relationship between things that
> are not structurally equivalent. A possible solution is to align all cells
> of all arrays
> to 64 bits which is a very bad property because even if you don't use Any,
> you pay the cost of that you may use it. Another solution, the one used by
> V8,
> is to box all doubles (and long in Java) when you store them in an array*.
> So an array of Any will not be magically an array of ints, an array of
> doubles
> and an array of objects without some trade-offs.

Hrm, you're right, I had not considered that byte[] is an Any[], due
to the totally broken "covariance" of arrays in Java.

That sucks, and it's worse that it sucks because of the type system
being broken :-(

Couldn't we just say that a byte[] actually isn't an Any[]? I mean,
that's actually *correct*. Why double down on stupid?

--
Gavin King
gavin.king at gmail.com
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Gavin