'Equals' in any-typed code: VERY BIG PROPOSAL

Thomas W twhitmore.nz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 02:23:19 UTC 2015

Hi Vitaly, people,

When we document how to write specializable classes, this should be
language-level;  not really relying on libraries. I feel 'Eq' deserves to
be seriously considered as 1st class operator in the language. This can
apply efficiently across whatever actual type, and well exposed for
optimization.

Static imports are OK as a workaround, but a majority of application
developers out there will never use this technique. An 'eq' operator, on
the other hand, they will use.

My background is in commercial application development, as well as
architecture, so I see these things.

Separately, what's our story on <any T> static methods?  How are calls to
these going to be implemented without boxing?

Regards,
Thomas