API review of VarHandles

Michael Haupt michael.haupt at oracle.com
Tue Jan 26 22:11:14 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

how about seeing j.l.i as a framework for lightweight reflection on the one hand, and for method handle-based meta-programming on the other? That's clearly usable beyond the domain of dynamic language implementation. Granted, the latter remains an important application area, but there are others. For example, JEP 280 uses invokedynamic for string concatenation.

In that vein, how about seeing VarHandles as a safer replacement for some of the Unsafe API? It's going to be public API, readily usable without having to enable access to the carefully tucked-away Unsafe.

Best,

Michael

--

 <http://www.oracle.com/>
Dr. Michael Haupt | Principal Member of Technical Staff

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V. | Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697
 <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>	Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment