RFR (XS): [MVT] Support Q-types in MHs.constant()

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Wed Jul 12 00:29:11 UTC 2017

Looks good

Moving forward I have a concern on adding more capabilities to
MethodHandles/MethodHandles.lookup.

On the one hand it's cool that we're trying to tweak things so that they
'just work' - that is, let devs use existing MH capabilities to
create/combine value-based handles.

On the other hand, this makes the surface area of MVT very blurry, as it
becomes harder to see where standard JDK ends and where MVT begins. This
could be problematic if, e.g. at some point we needed to move all the
MVT stuff under an experimental incubator module.

So, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't just add a ValueHandles
class, similar to MethodHandles.

In other words - have a ValueHandles class which contains the relevant
methods from ValueType plus the ones we've tweaked inside MethodHandles.
And have a ValueHandles.Lookup class to perform getter and wither lookup
on values.

What do you think?

Maurizio