Unsafe value access

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Thu Jun 22 19:18:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

To start working on VarHandle integration i first of all need unsafe access to values held within objects. For a most basic initial implementation we can use a global lock to preserve atomicity and memory ordering effects and defer the thinking about more sophisticated locking (seq locks etc), read-mody-write operations and other memory order effects to a another day.

For these purposes we just require two methods:

  __Value getValue(Object base, long offset, Class<? extends Value> vt)

  void putValue(Object base, long offset, Class<? extends Value> vt, __Value v);

I included Class parameter for the value type token.

How feasible would it be to implement such methods?

If people point me to the hotspot interpreter code for getfield/putfield implementations for values i might be able to make some progress. Once that is done we could then consider C1/C2 support.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul.