32-bit support in general (was Re: assert in interpreter code on 32 bit)

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Mon Mar 13 22:17:08 UTC 2017

On Mar 13, 2017, at 1:01 AM, David Simms <david.simms at oracle.com> wrote:

> We don't actually have 32 bit support in place for the Valhalla repo just yet...

I would be inclined to treat 32-bit as a future porting target (alongside SPARC and ARM and PPC), not a present requirement.

By that I mean don't knowingly cut off the option, but also don't expend much effort on it, unless it helps us understand some other problem more deeply.

(Maybe porting to small platforms sooner rather than later will help us understand how well our designs can be shrunk?)

— John