Minutes Valhalla EG Oct 11 2017

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Oct 16 03:36:07 UTC 2017

On 13/10/2017 8:26 PM, Karen Kinnear wrote:
> AI: David Holmes - Proposal for reflection APIs for nestmates ( thanks David for volunteering)
> AI: Dan Smith - updated Condy JVMS
> AI: Karen Kinnear - for nestmates - transitive overriding example email
>

> Attendees: Bjorn, David Simms, Dan H, Frederic, Lois, John, Karen
>
> I. Nestmates JVMS comments: (Thanks to David Holmes)
>
> 1. IAE due to issues with nestmates
>     such as - NCDFE or not listed in nest host member list or other resolution error
>
> We all agreed we want to report more information than just an IAE
> possible approaches:
>     - add a cause
>     - additional information in the message
>     - possibly subclass of IAE for nestmates?
>
> (ed. note - while access checking is likely to be the place where lazy nest host resolution occurs,
> it might also happen due to a reflection request)

This is tracked as:

I propose to set any exception that occurs when trying to perform the
access check, and the access checks fails, as the cause of the IAE that
is thrown. It is worth noting that pending exceptions are not checked in
this code at present so it is possible to proceed through different
access checks and eventually determine access is permissible, even if
one or more checks triggered an exception.

> 2. InvokeInterface change to support local private method invocation - proposal is to make that
> independent of class file version.
> Change in behavior: old ICCE will now succeed.
> No issues with mix-n-match class file versions. All will support local and old versions won’t have
> nestmates.
> Dan H pointed out that we have reserved the right to go from an error to a success case.

Tracked as:

> 3. Reflection
> Need a specific API proposal for when we get nest host resolution errors or there is a mismatch
> in nest membership. For each API - do we return e.g. null or a failure or a subset of members?
> If I ask for all my nest mates - do we need to eagerly resolve them?
>
> No to returning string names of nest mates
> John Rose: what if we were able to return the upcoming ClassRef, i.e. an unresolved reference which
> could then later be resolved which could get an appropriate resolution error at that time?
>
> — if this is going to ship in the same timeframe as support for Constable - maybe this is a better
> approach going forward.

This is tracked as:

The ClassRef idea is intriguing - but it would need to be ready to ship
before mid-December if the nestmates work is to be pushed on schedule. I
find it hard to see how to define a Class based API now that would be
able to evolve to a ClassRef based API in the future.

> 4. Preparation vs. Selection
> Dan H said that Karen’s proposal made sense to him (yay! and many thanks) and clarified some
> of the intended loader constraint handling. So we are ok with the preparation changes to the JVMS
> if Dan S agrees with Karen’s description as well - i.e. we think they match :-)
>
> Karen owes brief summary of transitive overriding including some examples - to double-check the
> overriding modifications.

I propose this is also tracked by:

We may need additional tests here.

Thanks,