hg: valhalla/valhalla: [lworld] Introduce a new annotation java.lang.ValueBased to distinguish migrating value based classes from pure value types and implement leniet semantics for them; Also flip the default for ACC_Flattenable

Srikanth srikanth.adayapalam at oracle.com
Mon Apr 2 12:49:17 UTC 2018

On Monday 02 April 2018 05:51 PM, srikanth.adayapalam at oracle.com wrote:
> Changeset: 32ff82e6b770
> Author:    sadayapalam
> Date:      2018-04-02 17:50 +0530
>
> [lworld] Introduce a new annotation java.lang.ValueBased to distinguish migrating value based classes from pure value types and implement leniet semantics for them; Also flip the default for ACC_Flattenable

Notes:

     - Introduces a new annotation java.lang.ValueBased with which a
__ByValue class may be decorated to indicate that it is a value based
class evolving to become a value type.
     - A __ByValue class without this annotation is considered a "pure"
value type.
     - ACC_FLATTENABLE defaults are flipped. A field whose type is a
pure value type will automatically be flagged ACC_FLATTENABLE in its
containing instance.
     - For value based classes evolving to value types, the default
flattenable status is NOT flattenable. Request flattening with the field
modifier __Flattenable.
     - A field whose type is a pure value type can opt out of flattening
by using the new field modifier __NotFlattened
     - Javac will redundantly accept __Flattenable with pure value typed
fields and __NotFlattened with VBC typed fields.
     - @ValueBased instances can be assigned null; null can be cast to
them - this would result in a warning at compile time and not an error.
(the unrealistic code pattern "null instanceof VBC" would also trigger a
warning instead of error)
     - Javac continues to implement a strict mode for pure value types
(also see below)
     - The lenient mode for @ValueBased classes is only for null
assignment and (the unrealistic) casting of nulls to @ValueBased types.
All identity related violations still result in an error. So does
comparison of @ValueBased type instances. (Rationale: Karen originally
asked for null related violations to be tolerated on the grounds that
the documentation for value based classes does not expressly forbid
these. However since == and != are expressly called out as inadvisable
operations on value based classes, I have continued to treat them as
errors - but I can be convinced to relax this)
      - This change set does not identify and annotate the classes in
JDK that are value based with @ValueBased. Only introduces the
annotation and the new semantics for it.
     - When an Object instance or a interface instance is cast to a
value type, javac will insert a null check IFF the target of the cast is
NOT @ValueBased.
     - When compiling at a source level that is NOT __ByValue aware, if
javac encounters a class file that has the ACC_VALUE bit set, the class
will be demoted to @ValueBased even though it may not have been
annotated with @ValueBased. This will result in null violation warnings
to be emitted as appropriate.
      - As of this change set the @ValueBased annotation is supposed to
always be paired with __ByValue modifier (not checked). A new lint mode
in consideration for JDK11 will implement sanity checks for @ValueBased
classes that are candidates for evolution at a future date and so are
not yet ready to be modified with __ByValue.
     - Javac does not inject null checks with any opcode other than
checkcast - see earlier mail raising some questions about the necessity
of this with other opcodes.
     - Expect some surprises in tests due to the flipping of defaults
for flattening.

Karen, please let me know if this adequately covers your proposal.

Thanks!
Srikanth