State of javac support for lworld-values.

Srikanth srikanth.adayapalam at oracle.com
Mon Mar 26 10:42:22 UTC 2018

On Monday 26 March 2018 04:00 PM, Srikanth wrote:

> Does a lenient mode at the eventual release for ease of migration
> purposes amounts to foregoing the opportunity to slap on the wrists
> but the lead the application programmer down the path to blowing their
> entire foot (with a runtime error) ?
>
> (Has the VM considered not NPEing for a null reference assignment to a
> flattenable field/value array cell, instead coalescing into the
> default value ? Does that make sense ? Afterall, anewarray comes up
> with default values)

If the VM were to be "forgiving" of null stores into value array cells
or flattenable value field per above or any other scheme, then a lenient
mode in javac would make immediate sense I think.

(Implementing a lenient mode should not be much of work - if the
discussions do argue for one, I can readily implement one)

Thanks
Srikanth