RFR 8231146: Heap object size

Frederic Parain frederic.parain at oracle.com
Fri Sep 20 18:00:53 UTC 2019

JOL has a mix of information taken from a live type from a running JVM,
and information from simulation modes. For the latter, the old layout
algorithm used by the JVM has been reproduced in the JOL tool.
Valhalla has already switched to another layout algorithm that JOL
knows nothing about, so all simulation modes are unable to produce
correct results for inline types.

Optimizing field layouts is still a work win progress. Unless it is
a blocking issue, I’d suggest to wait for the final version of the
field layout algorithm before fixing JOL’s simulation mode.

Anyway, JOL will need a refresh because of some layout options going
away. For instance, the field allocation style option has been deprecated,
and will be removed in a few versions).

Fred