[lworld] RFR: Rename value type -XX options to inline...

Frederic Parain fparain at openjdk.java.net
Fri Jun 5 17:24:01 UTC 2020

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 13:58:20 GMT, Harold Seigel <hseigel at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Rename hotspot -XX value type related options to have 'inline type' in their names instead of 'value type'.  Also,
> changed associated comments. The changes were tested with mach5 tiers 1-3.

Looks good to me.
Just a few places where comments or fields could be renamed too.

src/hotspot/share/opto/callnode.cpp line 735:

> 734:     } else {
> 735:       // The Call may return multiple values (value type fields): we
> 736:       // create one projection per returned values.

Should the comment say "inline fields" instead of "value type fields"?

src/hotspot/share/runtime/arguments.cpp line 4141:

> 4140:   if (!EnableValhalla || (is_interpreter_only() && !is_dumping_archive())) {
> 4141:     // Disable calling convention optimizations if value types are not supported
> 4142:     InlineTypePassFieldsAsArgs = false;

"if value types are not supported" -> "if inline types are not supported"

test/hotspot/jtreg/compiler/valhalla/valuetypes/ValueTypeTest.java line 169:

> 168:     protected static final int ValueTypeArrayFlattenOn = 0x4;
> 169:     protected static final int ValueTypeArrayFlattenOff = 0x8;
> 170:     protected static final int InlineTypeReturnedAsFieldsOn = 0x10;

ValueTypeArrayFlattenOn -> InlineTypeArrayFlattenOn
ValueTypeArrayFlattenOff -> InlineTypeArrayFlattenOff