[lworld] RFR: [lworld][lw3] Change "non-tearable" nomenclature to "access atomic"

Aleksey Shipilev shade at openjdk.java.net
Wed May 26 07:44:51 UTC 2021

Current Valhalla code has the experimental marker interface `java.lang.NonTearable`, which is actually about access atomicity. It makes weird claims about word tearing and out-of-thin air values.

First, this is not word tearing. Word tearing, as defined by JLS 17.6 is: _"This problem is sometimes known as word tearing, and on processors that cannot easily update a single byte in isolation some other approach will be required"._ That is, word tearing is when we cannot update the _narrow_ member without doing a _wider_ access, thus necessarily affecting the adjacent members. In Valhalla case, what we are dealing with is access atomicity: we sometimes cannot access the _wide_ member without doing a set of _narrower_ accesses. This is why JLS 17.7 says "non-atomic treatment of double and longs", not "word-tearing of double and longs".

Second, the docs for `j.l.NonTearable` mention "out-of-thin-air" (OOTA) values, which are not related here at all. OOTA are the beasts from the causality loops: those are values that were never written by normal execution of the program (i.e. speculative values). In Valhalla case, the writes that produce the broken hybrid are known and expected writes from the conflicting writers.

This nomenclature percolates to Valhalla VM code, so some change is needed there as well.

Additional testing:
 - [x] `runtime/valhalla` tests

Commit messages:
 - Change "non-tearable" nomenclature to "access atomic"

Changes: https://git.openjdk.java.net/valhalla/pull/428/files
 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=valhalla&pr=428&range=00
  Stats: 722 lines in 12 files changed: 359 ins; 345 del; 18 mod
  Patch: https://git.openjdk.java.net/valhalla/pull/428.diff
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/valhalla pull/428/head:pull/428

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/valhalla/pull/428