[lworld+vector] RFR: Merge lworld

Xiaohong Gong xgong at openjdk.org
Sun Jun 25 04:16:28 UTC 2023

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 06:47:31 GMT, Jatin Bhateja <jbhateja at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Merge from lworld in lworld+vector, JDK-8292818 made significant modification to FieldInfo by replacing 96 bits fixed set of metadata fields with UNSIGNED5 compressed fields.
>
> Other Fixes addressed:-
>
> A) CDS related:
>   - All the _VectorPayloadMF*_ classes are part of java.base modules and thus gets archived into a classes.jsa.
>   - Code for bookkeeping InlineKlassFixedBlock pointer containing  packing/unpacking adapters, exact bundle size etc. is removed from lworld branch, this causes problem in down stream flow accessing those fields.
>
>   - InstanceKlass::size method takes into account size of InlineKlassFixedBlock and therefore its contents are already part of shared archive, reinitialized the pointer by making an explicit call to _inlineklass_static_block()_ [1] during unshared field restoration.
>
>   - Java class structure [2] contains primaryType (pointer to primitive klass mirrors) and secondaryTypes (pointer to primitive values mirrors), these are no-longer getting restored during shared archive loading at VM startup. These pointer are used for class level equality comparison. As a workaround, using -Xshare:off flag during regression testing, this will be fixed in a follow up patch.
>
> B) Removed redundant ResourceMarks during field parsing [3], this was resulting into crashes during re-allocations of  __temp_field_info_ (a GrowableArray) due to __nesting_ level mismatch b/w actual allocation site and re-allocation sites. Re-allocations happens because upfront space reservation for growable array do not take into account multifield bundle size.
>
> C) JDK-8292818 added a new __index_ field on top regular fields specified in JVM specification (name_index, signature_index, flags_index, access_index) into FieldInfo structure, handled its initialization while parsing multifield[4], injected[5] and user defined fields[6].
>
> D) Small change in VectorBox creation routine for proper initialization[7] of _declared_nonstatic_fields before accessing it[8].
>
> E) De-optimization related:-
>   - De-coupled[9] allocation and re-assignment during vector box re-materialization leveraging existing re-assignment framework[10]. This prevents introducing special handlings for non-vector Locations in existing routines since an InlineTypeNode may have scalar / vector / constant inputs (scalarized multifield bundle initialization during make_default [11]).
>
>   - nfield count which determines number of field level bookkeeping at SafePoint was initialized using _ciInlineKlass::...

src/hotspot/share/prims/vectorSupport.cpp line 283:

> 281:   jint larval = (jint)*((jint*)&is_larval);
> 282:   // Vector payload value in an aligned adjacent tuple (8, 16, 32 or 64 bytes).
> 283:   return allocate_vector_payload_helper(ik, num_elem, elem_bt, larval, THREAD); // safepoint

I checked method `allocate_vector_payload_helper()`, and I didn't find any fields assignment inside it. Is this right or any further plan to add those assgnment? Besides, I have created a similar fix for the deoptimization: https://github.com/openjdk/valhalla/pull/863. Could you please take a look at it? Maybe we can integrate that change with this merge, or create a separate one if necessary.