Model 3 classfile design document

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Wed Feb 10 16:51:21 UTC 2016

So, there’s two layers to this:
 - What can you express in the bytecode;
 - What will javac emit

We want the VM to be as dumb as possible with respect to parameterization and erasure.  Therefore, we don’t ask the VM to reason about things like “ref types are erased”; the language compiler asks for either reification or erasure, and the VM happily complies.  So ParamType[List, String] is a reified List<String>, and ParamType[List, erased] is an erased List.

Javac will likely never emit reified generics over references, but other languages could.

To your examples:

1.  Javac will emit ParamType[Foo, erased]
2.  Javac will emit ParamType[Foo, int] (reified)
3.  Javac will emit ParamType[Foo, erased] (since int[] is a reference type)
4.  Javac will emit ParamType[Foo, erased] (same)

Did I make a mistake in the doc that suggested otherwise for 3/4?  Please correct me!