Nestmates

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sat Feb 13 15:24:09 UTC 2016

On 2/12/2016 5:04 PM, Bjorn B Vardal wrote:

>  1. The Top<->Child handshake only needs to happen when the Child is
>     loaded (which will load Top as a dependency), and access request
>     from Child1 to Child2 is reduced to Child1->nestTop ==
>     Child2->nestTop. This means that we can fail immediately if the
>     handshake fails during class loading, i.e. it should not be
>     postponed until a private access request fails. Do you agree?

I think we have some options here:
  - We could fail fast, rejecting the class.
  - We could simply load the class into a new nest containing only
itself; access control (in both directions) that would depend on
nestmate-ness would fail later.

I think the choice depends on whether we expect to see failures here
solely because of attacks / broken compilers, or whether we can imagine
reasonable situations where such a condition could happen through
separate compilation.

> 1.
>  2. The proposal assumes that nest mates are always derived from the
>     same source file. This can be enforced by the Java compiler, but
>     is it verifiable by the JVM? Both the source file attributes and
>     class name can be set to whatever we want, which makes it
>     undesirable for verification purposes. The question really has two
>     sides:
>      1. Do nest mates have to be from the same source file?
>      2. If so, how do we verify it?

In Java, this will likely be true, but I can imagine how other languages
would use this to assemble a nest from multiple separate files.  So I
don't think we need to claim they must come from the same file, nor
enforce it-- we only need enforce the integrity of the NestXxx attributes.

> 1.
>     1.
>  2. Building on question 2, the solution appears to be that nest mates
>     must be loaded by the same class loader. If not, someone can load
>     their own class with the same name as a class from some nest,
>     using a child class loader, which will pass the handshake,
>     effectively giving the custom class complete access to that nest.

Yes.  Same loader, same package, same module, same protection domain.
These all seem reasonable constraints here.