RFR: Remove prefetch during mark

Wilkinson, Hugh hugh.wilkinson at intel.com
Wed Feb 14 16:23:47 UTC 2018

I have been looking at this also.

I find that if the prefetching occurs 3 popped entries ahead of the processing, then there is a worthwhile benefit.

A bit of re-structuring is required to make this easy and efficient.

I am prefetching 2 cache lines from the referenced object and also doing a PREFETCHW of the mark bitmap.  (Prefetch::write() requires modification for x86.)

With the current code structure, removal of the Prefetch::read() probably makes sense; however, I would like to highlight that marking performance can be improved with sufficiently early software cache prefetches.

I expect to share more details later.

Hugh