Very long allocation stall

Uberto Barbini uberto.gama at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:43:16 UTC 2018

Hi Per,

thanks for your reply.
My comments inline

> > Do you have any idea of what can be the possible cause?
>
> If you see allocation stalls it's an indication that ZGC can't keep up
> with the allocation rate of your application. I.e. the headroom in the
> heap (max heap size - live-set size) is too small. To avoid this,
> increase the max heap size until you don't get allocation stalls and you
> have a healthy/acceptable GC frequency.

Although the application is pretty aggressive on the allocation, the
live-set is relatively small (<1gb), so I thought 6gb of heap should be
enough.
I've doubled it to 12gb of heap and performance improved a bit but there
are still lots of Allocation Stalls.

> Another (secondary) option to play with is -XX:ConcGCThreads to give
> more CPU-time to the GC (essentially making it faster so each cycle will
> be shorter). You can use -Xlog:gc+init to see how many threads ZGC
> automatically selects now and go from there.

Changing the number of threads improved things a lot, but didn't really
solved the problem, only moved it further.
Using XX:ConcGCThreads=4, in 60 seconds it is able to calculate about 480k
positions, same than g1 (but with better latency) and almost the double
then before.
But increasing the search depth to 120 seconds for move, the Allocation
Stalls popped up again and the app stopped again.
Increasing to more than 4 didn't change anything since I've only 4 cores in
my cpu.

I'm not familiar enough with ZGC to try an explanation, but in my
application only one thread keep most of the long living memory allocations
(the tree of positions) whilst the other threads are used to evaluate each
new position, which means: 1) allocate many objects 2) calculate the result
3) return results to main thread and deallocate all objects. Is it possible
that this behavior confound ZGC?

thanks

Uberto