RFR: JDK-8214527 AArch64: ZGC for Aarch64

Per Liden per.liden at oracle.com
Thu May 23 09:57:20 UTC 2019

Hi Stuart,

On 5/21/19 3:44 PM, Stuart Monteith wrote:
> Hi Per,
>     Thanks for taking a look at that.
>
> I'll wait until ZGC on x86_64 isn't experimental. When that happens,
> if aarch64 isn't ready for production use, I'd expect we'd make the
> definition of "UseZGC" conditional, something like:
>
> ----
> #if defined(AARCH64)
>    #define USEZGC_COND(type, name, flag, descr)
> experimental((type),(name),(flag),(descr))
> #else
>    #define USEZGC_COND(type, name, flag, descr)
> product((type),(name),(flag),(descr))
> #endif
>
> USEZGC_COND(bool, UseZGC, false,                          \
>            "Use the Z garbage collector")                              \
> ----
>
> That'll need more thought, but I'd like a general solution that could
> be applied more widely if, indeed, that were even necessary.

Sounds good.

> I've done the refactoring of z_aarch64.ad as you suggested here:
>     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~smonteith/8214527/webrev.2/

In z_aarch64.ad, you shouldn't need the "#if INCLUDE_ZGC" stuff, as this
should never be compiled if ZGC is disabled, right?. Also it looks like
the code inside ins_encode can be collapsed into a single line, like:

   z_load_barrier_slow_reg(_masm, $dst$$Register, $mem$$base$$Register,
$mem$$index, $mem$$scale, $mem$$disp, false /* weak */);

> Apart from the system calls, I agree with you about the deduplication.
> I presume there is no expectation for there to be a SPARC linux port,
> or other architectures were there might be a desire for a different
> implementation.

We don't need to cater for that now. If/when that day comes, we can
adjust what's shared and what's not, if there's a need to.

A more general question. What kind of testing are you doing of this, and
will you be continuously doing it going forward? Perhaps monitoring ZGC
performance on aarch64 too? I don't expect a lot of aarch64-specific
issues to pop up, but since aarch64 isn't part of the normal platforms
Oracle tests/monitors we will likely not catch such issues.

cheers,
Per