Possible working method to get actual process size on Linux

Stefan Reich stefan.reich.maker.of.eye at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 3 12:47:12 UTC 2019

The situation is still confusing. My process has:

Runtime.totalMemory() = 2.7 GB
Runtime.usedMemory() =~ 1 GB

ps_mem.py says:

root at smartbot:~/bin# ps_mem.py -p 4837
 Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used Program

745.5 MiB +   2.4 GiB =   3.1 GiB java
                          3.1 GiB

Is the heap counted as shared memory here? The shared memory value seems
way too large.

My own tool reports < 1 GB as RSS which seems way too low...