Experience with ZGC

Sergey Tselovalnikov sergeicelov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 03:20:28 UTC 2020

Hi,

I met Chad (https://twitter.com/chadarimura) a few weeks ago at UnVoxxed
Hawaii unconference and mentioned that we use ZGC at Canva, and he
encouraged me to share the details. So I wanted to share our experience
here. I hope, sharing our success with ZGC can encourage other people to
try it out.

At Canva, we use ZGC for our API Gateway (further AFE for short). ZGC
helped us to reduce  GC pauses from around 30-50ms with occasional spikes
to hundreds of ms down to only 1-2ms pauses [0]. GC pauses used to cause
issues with the TCP backlog filling up which would result in further
queuing inside the app, and would require allocating more
threads/connections to clear up the queue. These two graphs show the
difference we observed [1].

To give some background, AFE runs on a few dozens of c5.large AWS
instances. The application runs on OpenJDK JDK 13 with 1.5 GB max heap
size, and a stable heap size around 400 MB. It uses Jetty with non-blocking
APIs as a web framework, and Finagle as an RPC framework. When fully warmed
up, less than 10% of CPU time is spent in GC threads. Enabling ZGC didn't
require any special tuning, however, we increased the max heap size which
was previously lower following the recommendations [2].

There were a few issues that we faced:

* Occasional crashes prior to 13.0.2
Prior to JDK 13.0.2, we observed a number of crashes that would happen
after running the app for around 14 hours. The symptoms were very similar
to the ones in JDK-8230565. Looking at the crash logs, we found that the
crashes would happen when one of the application methods is being
recompiled from level 3 to level 4, so we had to mitigate this issue.
However, after updating to 13.0.2, we haven't seen them anymore.

* Occasional allocation stalls
We're still seeing occasional "Application Stall" events which are a bit
harder to debug. It doesn't happen very often, and we're still collecting
data, but it seems that at least in some cases it's preceded by a number of
"ICBufferFull" safepoints.

* The results depend on the load profile
ZGC worked really well for us for AFE for which the workload consists of a
large number of requests flowing through at a relatively steady rate.
However, we didn't have much success trying to apply it to some of the
services with a bit spikier workloads. For such workloads, ZGC resulted in
a large number of application stalls after which the app wasn't able to
keep up with the incoming requests anymore.

Thanks for working on this awesome GC!

[0]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1780970/76673536-116fd000-659e-11ea-8832-4aefa06f02b2.png
[1]