Need help with ZGC failure in Lilliput

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Tue Jul 20 16:21:56 UTC 2021

Hi Erik,

yes I have thought about this, but I am not sure if what I do is enough.
I'm basically following the logic that is implemented for hash-code: if
we encounter a stack-lock in the current thread, we can directly load
the displaced-header from it, otherwise it inflates the lock. I guess
that this is not really going perfect with GCs, because it means that,
e.g., concurrent marking or relocation would inflate some locks.

The trouble might indeed be that GC threads would not be allowed to do
that because of concurrent deflation. Hrmpf. Is there a way to prevent
deflation during certain GC phases maybe? Or coordinate GC threads with
deflation?

Robbin Ehn's work sounds promising. Can you give me more details about
what he's up to? Maybe a PR?

Thanks,
Roman