[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Best way organizing XRenderadditions for theX11 pipeline?

Dmitri Trembovetski Dmitri.Trembovetski at Sun.COM
Fri Dec 7 19:17:32 UTC 2007

LOUD, Ben wrote:
>  >> Meanwhile, if instead of "paths" you've actually already got something
>  >> tessellated and just need it to be rasterized, then sure, you can call
>  >> into XRenderCompositeTrapezoids to do just that if you'd like.
>
> ahh ok this is interesting. I see your point. I've been speaking under
> the assumption that X Render wouldnt be involved in this step. I believe
> in Java2D, all the work of producing coverage values is always done in
> software, and OGL or whatever only does the compositing. I hadnt
> considered that Render could accelerate both.

   Yes indeed, in Java2D this part is done in software.
   However, I think that it would be nice to start out with
   just XRender pipeline (may be sitting on top of the
   x11 pipeline - the same way the old ddraw pipeline
   extends gdi one).
   I'm not really familiar with XRender myself so I don't
   know if you could mix X11 and Xrender rendering to
   the same drawable.

   I think we'll need something to address performance issues with
   apps using AA rendering and alpha compositing on X.
   We've been careful not to use too much of both in our
   built-in Swing L&Fs, but with the introductions of
   Nimbus that goes out of the window - it is fully vector
   graphics driven, with AA and AC everywhere.
   The performance on X11 will suck as a result of that,
   unfortunately.

   I have my doubts about fully integrating Cairo at this
   point (just because it would be much more extensive
   undertaking) but it should be relatively straightforward to
   implement an XRender pipeline.

   You can follow the example of x11 and opengl pipelnes.

   Unfortunately you don't have access to the new D3D
   and opengl pipelines which we're working on for
   6uN - we have improved code sharing between the pipelines
   (d3d, ogl) a lot, generalized a bunch of stuff, so it might have
   been easier to start from there.
   We could forward port the shared pieces to openjdk once
   we have some breathing time.

   Anyway, the I would approach this would be something like this.

   You'd need to create a SurfaceData subclass (say, XRSurfaceData) with
   appropriate SurfaceType. See OGL/GLXSurfaceData for
   the inspiration. Whether your surface type would be a subtype
   of X11* surface types depends on whether you can do x11
   rendering to XRender surfaces (Pictures?).

   Then you'd define the pipes and blits which render to
   and from your surfaces (see OGLRenderer, OGLBlitLoops).

   You'd need to create appropriate SurfaceManager (Volatile- and
   Caching-) so it would create surfaces of your type
   for Buffered- and Volatile-images, and BufferStrategy.
   (see GLXVolatileSurfaceManager). Also see SurfaceManagerFactory -
   this is where SurfaceManagers are created.

   Also, you'd need to create your own GraphicsConfiguration
   subclass (see GLXGraphicsConfig) so that the window surfaces
   of your type can be created.

   There's tons more details, of course. But this is a
   general direction.

   Thanks,
     Dmitri